Sunday, April 24, 2011

ReBirth

Dijon and I took the camper out for a trial run last weekend.  We visited Fontainebleau State Park, a favorite camping spot in years past.  Unfortunately, the park suffered serious damage when Hurricane Katrina hit five years ago.  We had not visited since then, and were anxious to see how everything looked now.  Much of the facilities have been rebuilt, and were lovely, but we were so worried about the natural surroundings.


The pups loved the view of Lake Ponchatrain off the new pier!
(You know I had to put the pups in the post!)


Fontainebleau is built on the site of an old sugar mill.  The park has some of the most amazing live oak trees you will ever hope to see....this is actually the "carriageway" between two rows of oaks that led from the sugar mill down to the lake.  I just love all the Spanish moss hanging from the trees!


You can still see the old stacks of the sugar mill.  We were absolutely thrilled that they survived the hurricane and flooding. 



This live oak tree was always our favorite, and I nearly cried when I saw it still alive and full of green leaves.  I would have been devastated if it had not survived.  We have so many pictures of our kids climbing on this tree over the years.  Do you see that blue figure at the bottom of the picture?  That's Dijon....just to give you an idea of how big this tree is, Dijon is 6'2" tall!!  And I didn't even get all of it in the picture!


 Just gorgeous......


This tree, and many others, did not survive the brackish water flooding from Lake Ponchatrain.  If you look closely, you can see how live oak trees twist as they grow.  Dijon tells me it is nearly impossible to split those trees for firewood!

 Finally.....

A picture that reminds me today of the light of this world, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who rose from the grave, so that I might have a rebirth and eternal life.  For that, I offer thanks and praise. 


 See ya soon,

~~~~~Sally~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful place. I am so glad it escaped damage.
    Love a post with pups.

    ReplyDelete